Slough Safeguarding Children

Private Fostering

What is Private Fostering?

Sometimes it is arranged by a parent for their child go to stay with someone who is not a close relative.  If the child or young person is likely to stay at this person's home for 28 days or more, this is called a Private Fostering arrangement.  The person that looks after the child or young person is a private foster carer and the law says that the the Council must be told because it is their job to make sure that children are looked after properly, whoever they are living with.

Why are some children privately fostered?

There can be lots of different reasons why a child or young person goes to stay with someone.  this could be if mum or dad are ill and can't care for their children, a child is going to school in another country or maybe as a teenager there are rows or upset at home which a break away may make better.  These are only a few reasons - there are many others.

I think I am being privately fostered.  How can I find out more?

A good starting place would be to look at the booklet below which is specifically for children and young people.  It will give you lots more information.

Private Fostering - Guide for Children and Young People

Useful Links

Call First Contact on 01753 690450 if you are concerned about a child.

Everyone has a duty to keep children safe. If you have concerns about a child's welfare or suspect that a child is being neglected or abused, report it.